Open Ethics Transparency Protocol
The Open Ethics Transparency Protocol (OETP or Protocol) describes the creation and exchange of voluntary ethics Disclosures for IT products. It is brought as a solution to increase the transparency of how IT products are built and deployed. This document provides details on how disclosures for data collection and data processing practice are formed, stored, validated, and exchanged in a standardized and open format.
The protocol supports ethical disclosure of ADMs and provides facilities for:
- Informed consumer choices : End-users able to make informed choices based on their own ethical preferences and ADM disclosure.
- Industrial scale monitoring : Discovery of best and worst practices within market verticals, technology stacks, and product value offerings.
- Legally-agnostic guidelines : Suggestions for developers and product-owners, formulated in factual language, which are legally-agnostic and could be easily transformed into product requirements and safeguards.
- Iterative improvement : Digital products, specifically, the ones powered by artificial intelligence could receive a nearly real-time feedback on how their performance and ethical posture could be improved to cover security, privacy, diversity, fairness, power-balance, non-discrimination, and other requirements.
- Labeling and certification : Mapping to existing and future regulatory initiatives and standards.
Glossary book is only visible on a larger screens. If you’re on mobile, you can still explore it here
The Open Ethics Transparency Protocol (OETP) is an application-level protocol for publishing and accessing ethical Disclosures of IT Products and their Components. The Protocol is based on HTTP exchange of information about the ethical “postures”, provided in an open and standardized format. The scope of the Protocol covers Disclosures for systems such as Software as a Service (SaaS) Applications, Software Applications, Software Components, Application Programming Interfaces (API), Automated Decision-Making (ADM) systems, and systems using Artificial Intelligence (AI). OETP aims to bring more transparent, predictable, and safe environments for the end-users. The OETP Disclosure Format is an extensible JSON-based format.